- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 2 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 bulbs fresh (wet) garlic, outer leaves removed and cloves roughly chopped
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 300 g risotto rice
- 85 ml Italian white wine
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 150 ml freshly grated parmesan
- handfuls fresh leaves basil, torn
- 75 g unsalted butter
1. Heat the grill to high and place the peppers on a baking sheet. Grill for 5-6 minutes, turning the peppers often, until the skin is black.
2. Place the peppers in bowl, cover it tightly with cling film and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off the black skin and rinse under a tap to wash off the seeds and remaining skin, chop the flesh finely and set aside.
4. Place the chopped plum tomatoes with their juices in a pan and add the chopped garlic. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until thickened.
5. In a separate saucepan, heat a little oil and gently fry the onion and celery for 5 minute, or until softened. Once soft, add the rice, cook for a further 5 minutes, then stir in the white wine and allow the alcohol to evaporate off.
6. Add the stock, simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring continuously until the rice has absorbed all the stock and is tender.
7. When the rice is almost ready, add chopped peeled peppers, tomatoes, parmesan, basil and butter. Stir vigorously, until the risotto is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, finish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve.
Rate This Recipe