- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp cracked peppercorns
- 2 duck breast, skin removed
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp butter
- 100 ml cognac
- 100 ml strong duck or chicken stock, preferably home-made
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 100 g spinach leaves
- 100 g wild or cultivated mushrooms, sliced
1. Spread the cracked peppercorns over the duck breasts, pressing them down well to form a crust.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the duck breasts and fry for 3 minutes on each side for medium rare, or 5 minutes each side for well done. Remove the breasts and keep warm.
3. Deglaze the pan with the cognac, and a little duck stock. Then stir in the cream, and simmer over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce is reduced to the consistency preferred.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in another pan. Add the spinach and gently fry until wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and keep warm.
5. Heat the remaining oil and butter in a third pan. Add the mushrooms and fry for about 5 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Mix with the spinach and season with salt to taste.
6. To serve, spoon the spinach and mushroom mixture onto individual warmed serving plates. Slice the duck breasts and arrange on top. Spoon the sauce around the edge.
Rate This Recipe