- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1/2 tsp grains of paradise
- 1 aubergine
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- slices bruschetta, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
Among other names for grains of paradise is Guinea Pepper Melegueta pepper and less often, alligator pepper. The spice originally brought to Europe in the 13th century via Saharan caravan routes, was appreciated as replacement for true pepper. Present day production is still in the same region with Ghana the main exporter.
Grains of paradise are related to the cardamom, but their taste does not have that spices camphor element.
1. Grind the Grains of Paradise in a pestle and mortar.
2. Brush the aubergine slices with oil and sprinkle 2/3 of the grains of paradise onto the aubergine. Cook on a griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side, until blackened by the heat.
3. Just before serving sprinkle the rest of the ground spice over the aubergines.
4. Place the aubergine slices on top of the bruschetta slices and serve.
Rate This Recipe