- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus infusing time
- Effort: easy
- 1 vanilla pod
- 300 ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 1 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
Tips and Suggestions
If by chance the custard does get too hot and turns lumpy, simply strain it quickly to remove the lumps before continuing with the recipe.
1. Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape out the sticky seeds.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the milk to scalding point (just under the boil), then remove it from the heat and add the vanilla seeds and the husks of the pods. Allow to stand for 15 minutes to allow the vanilla to infuse the milk.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, cream and amaretto and beat together until the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Remove the vanilla pod's husks from the milk. Slowly beat the flavoured milk into the egg mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into a heavy-based saucepan and cook over a low to medium heat, stirring continuously until the custard thickens. Do not let it boil. Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving jug or bowl. Serve hot or cold.
Rate This Recipe