- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the roasted baby potatoes
- 450baby g new potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp mixedchives and parsley, chopped
For the pork chops
- 4 pork chops
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25 g butter
- 600 ml perry, (pear cider)
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 sage leaves
For the rarebit
- 25 g butter
- 1 small leek, finely sliced
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and finely sliced
- 4 sage leaves, sliced
- 225 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- green vegetables
1. For the roasted baby potatoes, preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Heat the olive oil in a large roasting tin. Add the potatoes and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender and crisp, shaking once or twice while cooking.
2. Prepare the pork chops by trimming them of any excess fat. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and fry the chops on both sides until golden brown. Add the cider, apple, whole sage leaves and a little salt and pepper. Cover and cook gently for 20 minutes.
3. In the meantime, make the rarebit. Melt the butter in a small frying pan and fry the leek for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the pear and the sliced sage leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
4. In another saucepan combine the cheese, egg yolks and mustard. Take 2 tablespoons of the perry gravy from the pork chops as they cook and add it to the cheese mixture. Place over a low heat to melt gently, stirring well to incorporate all the ingredients. Do not let the mixture boil.
5. Preheat the grill and line the grill pan with foil. Remove the pork chops from the frying pan and place them on the grill pan.
6. Divide the pear and leek mixture amongst the pork chops, spooning it onto the meat. Spoon the rarebit mixture over the top and grill until it is browned and bubbling.
7. Remove and discard the sage leaves from the pork pan juices. Transfer the remaining perry and apple mixture to a liquidiser and purée to make a gravy.
8. Remove the potatoes from the oven. Drain off the excess fat. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and toss them with the herbs. Serve straight away with the chops and green vegetables.
Rate This Recipe