- Serves: 4 as a starter
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 1 live lobster, 700g
- 90 g pickled bamboo
- 2 poached chicken breasts
- pinch of cracked white pepper, for sprinkling
- dashes of extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
For the shallot, chervil and mustard dressing:
- 50 g shallots, finely diced
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chardonnay vinegar
- 7 g chervil, finely chopped
Tips and Suggestions
"When I created many of the recipes in this book it was Christmas-time," says Kylie. "I was feeling particularly festive and indulgent, and I lost count of how many dinner parties I attended and held! Lobster (or crayfish, as it's often called in Australia) seemed to be on the menu rather frequently, as summer in Sydney is perfect seafood-eating weather, but you can easily substitute fresh prawns or crabmeat; as long as it's fresh, you can't go wrong. Talking of freshness, I always take advantage of the season for fresh bamboo - there is nothing more delicious in flavour and stunningly beautiful in a visual sense. You'll never go back to the tinned version."
1. Place lobster in freezer for 1 hour, where it will 'go to sleep', then lower into a large saucepan of boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes. Using tongs, carefully remove lobster, drain and allow to cool at room temperature.
2. To make the shallot, chervil and mustard dressing, combine the shallots, mustard, salt and lemon juice in a bowl.
3. Stir in the olive oil, vinegar and chervil and mix well.
4. To serve, twist off the large claws and the legs. Crack the claw shells and remove the lobster meat in as large pieces as possible. Detach the head from the tail, slice the head in half and remove the greenish tomalley and roe (both edible). Turn over the tail section and cut along either side of the under shell with kitchen scissors. Take out the tail meat in one piece. Slice the lobster meat thickly on the diagonal and remove the intestinal tract.
5. Slice the poached chicken breasts thickly, also on the diagonal.
6. Layer the sliced lobster, chicken and pickled bamboo on a serving platter and spoon over the dressing. Sprinkle with a little white pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
Rate This Recipe