- Serves: Makes 700g
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 fresh bamboo shoots
- 80 ml mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- 55 g white sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
Tips and Suggestions
Fresh bamboo shoot can be found in Chinese supermarkets.
1. Cut the horn-shaped bamboo shoot in half lengthways, strip off the outer fibrous layers and then trim about 2cm off the base.
2. Cut the bamboo into 5mm wide strips and add to a pan of cold salted water.
3. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Drain and refresh bamboo under cold water.
4. Repeat this process of boiling from a cold-water start, draining and refreshing twice more, to remove any bitterness.
5. To pickle the bamboo, place the rice vinegar and sugar in a small pan, and stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved.
6. Then simmer, uncovered and without stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until mixture is slightly reduced.
7. Remove from the stove, stir in the fish sauce and the prepared bamboo.
8. This keeps for several weeks in the refrigerator.
Rate This Recipe