- Serves: Makes about 500g
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg damsons
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp allspice berries
- small knob ginger
- pared rind of half a lemons
- 150 ml balsamic vinegar
- 450 g brown sugar
1. Wash the damsons and remove the stalks.
2. Tie the spices, ginger and lemon peel in small piece of muslin.
3. Put the spices in a non-reactive saucepan with the vinegar and sugar. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Add the fruit and simmer until tender but not disintegrating - about 15 minutes.
5. Remove the spice bag and drain the fruit, reserving the liquid.
6. Pack the fruit into clean warm jars.
7. Pour the liquid back into the pan and bring to the boil. Boil until reduced and slightly thickened. Pour it over the damsons. Seal the jars tightly.
Rate This Recipe