- Serves: Makes 750g
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 ml white wine vinegar
- 250 ml water
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 11 black peppercorns
- pinch of salt
- 6 allspice berries
- small piece of dried chillies
- 750 g pumpkin or squash flesh, peeled, deseeded and chopped into cubes or balls
1. Place the vinegar, water and sugar in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring, over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Add the cinnamon, peppercorns, salt, allspice berries and chilli and bring to the boil.
3. Add the pumpkin flesh and bring to the boil once more.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer the pumpkin gently until cooked through, around 30 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon place the pumpkin in warm, sterile jars, dividing the spices evenly.
6. Bring the remaining cooking liquor to the boil and cook briskly until reduced and thickened into a syrup.
7. Pour the syrup over the pumpkin, allow to cool and seal.
Rate This Recipe