- Serves: Makes approximately 500g
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 12 hrs salting plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 2 large heads of garlic
- 50 g salt
- 570 ml water
- 450 g shallots, peeled and left whole
- 1 litres cheap balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- ï¿½ tsp pickling spices
1. Separate the garlic into individual cloves. Peel each garlic clove, leaving it whole.
2. Mix the salt and the cold water together in a large bowl until the salt has dissolved, making a brine solution.
3. Place the onions and garlic in the brine and leave for 12 hours. Rinse and pat dry.
4. Place the onions and garlic, mixed together, in sterilised bottles or jars.
5. In a non-reactive pan, heat together the balsamic vinegar, sugar, bay leaf and spices and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain and cool.
6. Pour the spiced vinegar over the onions and garlic covering them completely. Cover the bottles or jars and leave for 3 months before using.
Rate This Recipe