- Serves: makes 1 kg pickled onions
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus soaking and pickling time
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg shallots
- 500 g sea salt, for brine
- 1 bottles malt vinegar, about 375ml
- 1 bottles white wine vinegar, about 375ml
- 8 cloves
- 10 allspice berries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 white peppercorns
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 coriander seeds
- 4 small hot dried chillies
1. Cover the shallots with brine (made with 500g salt to 1.5 litres of water) and leave to soak in a non-metallic container in the fridge for a week.
2. Now you know how much liquid it takes to cover your shallots, combine equal parts of malt and wine vinegar to make the same amount. Bring to the boil in a stainless-steel pan with the spices and herbs.
3. Rinse the shallots thoroughly. Add them to the simmering spiced vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and bottle in sterilised sealable jars. Keep somewhere cool for a month.
5. They are now ready to use. The leftover spiced vinegar is very good for dipping cooked whelks in.
Rate This Recipe