- Serves: 3-4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 9 pig's tails, washed and cleaned
- chicken or vegetable stock, or ham cooking water or water, enough to cover
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 small swede, chopped
- 1 large turnip, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- small bunch dill, chopped
- 1 x 600 g jar large pickled cucumbers
- salt and black pepper
- rye or rustic bread, to serve
1. Place the tails in a large saucepan and cover with the stock or water. Bring to the boil and skim off any impurities that float to the surface. Tip in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, leek, swede, turnip, bay leaves, mustard seeds and peppercorns.
2. Return to the boil, before reducing the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 40 minutes, until the vegetables and tails are tender.
3. Add the potatoes and cook for a further 15 minutes. Sprinkle in the dill and about 150ml of the gherkin's pickling juice.
4. Adjust the seasoning and serve with the remaining gherkins and rye or rustic country bread.
Rate This Recipe