- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 4 pig's trotters
- 300 g sugar beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 25 ml red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves
- 5 g ground coriander
- 5 g ground allspice
- 20 g curry powder
- 10 g turmeric
- 1 large bunch coriander, chopped
- black pepper
- olive oil, for dressing
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
1. Soak the trotters in water for an hour, then drain and pat dry.
2. Meanwhile, drain the soaked beans, place in a large saucepan, cover generously with water and bring the beans to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, until tender. Drain, place in a bowl, cover with cold water and set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, place the trotters in a large saucepan. Cover generously with water, bring to simmering point and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
4. Strain the trotters, retaining the liquor. Dice the strained trotters.
5. In a large pan place the liquor, diced trotters, onion, vinegar, sugar, cloves, coriander, allspice, curry powder and turmeric.
6. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
7. Mix in the chopped coriander and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
8. Drain the cooled beans. Mix the beans with olive oil and garlic. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
9. Place the beans in a large serving bowl. Top with the pigs' trotters and serve.
Rate This Recipe