- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 large red peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25 g crustless white bread
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- toasted or griddled crusty bread, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
2. Place the peppers on a roasting tray, drizzle over the olive oil, place in the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes or until the peppers have slightly blackened, turning them occasionally. Place the peppers in a large plastic food bag, seal and allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, soak the bread in a little cold water, then drain and squeeze out excess moisture.
4. Remove the peppers from the bag, reserving any of the juices. Peel the peppers, halve and remove the seeds.
5. Place the red pepper halves in a food processor with the bread, garlic, cayenne and the pepper juices and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Toast or griddle some slices of crusty bread and spread the paste over it.
Rate This Recipe