- Effort: easy
- 25 g butter
- 1 onions, finely chopped
- 225 g carrots, finely grated
- 2 sticks celery
- 225 g toasted pine kernels, grated
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinches fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinches nutmeg, freshly grated
For the sauce
- 7 g mushrooms, dried, rinsed
- 600 ml water
- 25 g butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp madeira, vegetarian or fortified wine
- 2 tbsp Japanese soy sauce, (shoyu)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line a 500g loaf tin.
2. Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onion, without browning for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and celery and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add the pine nuts, parsley, lemon juice and eggs. Season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Pour into the tin and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown and firm in the centre.
5. To prepare the sauce, put the mushrooms and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil then remove from heat and leave to soak for 40 minutes, then drain, reserving the liquid and chop the mushrooms.
6. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes until lightly browned. Add the mushrooms and simmer for 30 minutes until tender.
7. Mix the cornflour with the reserved liquid, Madeira and shoyu, then add to the mushroom mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring until slightly thickened. Season to taste.
8. Turn the roast out onto a plate, slice thickly and drizzle with the mushroom sauce.
Copyright The Vegetarian Society
Rate This Recipe