- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 30 mins standing time
- Effort: hard
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 pieces liquorice root, chopped
- 1 pineapples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 600 g brioche, loaf
- 200 g butter, softened
- 100 g demerara sugar
- 8 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 500 ml double cream
- 10 tonka beans
1. Preheat the oven to 180°/gas 4 and lightly butter an ovenproof dish.
2. Place the caster sugar and water in a pan and add the liquorice. Bring slowly to the boil, and then bubble until reduced to a thick syrup.
3. Strain the syrup to remove the liquorice and then add the pineapple. Leave to cool.
4. Slice the brioche and butter all the slices. Cover the base of the prepared dish in buttered brioche slices. Sprinkle with a little demerara sugar and pour over a little of the syrup and pineapple.
5. Continue the layering until all the brioche, pineapple and syrup are used up. Finish the top layer with a final sprinkling of demerara sugar.
6. Beat the whole eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar together in a bowl together in a bowl.
7. Heat the cream and Tonka beans in a pan to scalding point. Remove Tonka beans. Pour the warm cream into the egg and sugar mix and beat well. Pour this over the pudding. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes.
8. Cook the brioche and butter pudding for 40 minutes, until the custard is barely set. Serve warm with whipped double cream.
Rate This Recipe