- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus steeping and freezing
- Effort: medium
- 200 g caster sugar
- 25 g butter
- 4 pineapple rings
- 375g pre-rolled puff pastry
For the Ginger and Sweet Potato Ice Cream:
- 500 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g sweet potatoes, oiled and pureed
- squeeze of lemon juice
1. First make the ice cream. Bring the cream and ginger to a boil in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Cover, remove from the heat, and set aside to steep for 30 minutes.
3. Return the cream to a boil.
4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
5. Whisking, pour in a little of the hot cream into the yolk mixture.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the hot cream, stirring constantly.
7. Cook very gently over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens into a custard, coating the back of a spoon.
8. Place the custard in the pan in a large bowl of ice water. Set aside to cool, stirring now and then.
9. Mix in the sweet potato and add lemon juice to taste.
10. Strain the sweet potato mixture through a fine-meshed sieve.
11. Churn in an ice cream-maker, following manufacturer's instructions, until the mixture freezes.
12. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-proof container and freeze until serving.
13. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
14. Put the sugar into an ovenproof pan and heat gently without stirring until it caramelises, turning golden brown.
15. Remove from the heat, add in the butter and stir in gently.
16. Place the pineapple rings in the caramel.
17. Place the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut out a disc slightly large than the ovenproof pan.
18. Place the pastry disc over the pineapple and caramel, tucking the edges of the pastry into the sides of the pan.
19. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is brown.
20. Remove the tart from the oven and set aside to rest for 4 minutes.
21. Place a serving plate on top of the pan and invert it, so that the tart slips out with the pastry on the base and the pineapple on top.
22. Serve the freshly baked tart with the sweet potato ice cream.
Rate This Recipe