- Serves: Serves 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes , plus 1 hour 40 minutes resting time
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 large ripe pineapple
- 115 g butter
- 115 g caster sugar
- juice of 1 limes
- 1 tsp water
- 500 g puff pastry
- crème fraiche or ice cream, to serve
1. Slice the skin off the pineapple. Quarter the pineapple and cut out its tough inner core. Slice it into eight pieces and cut into chunks. Place the chunks in a colander and leave to drain on the draining board.
2. Heat the butter, sugar, lime juice and water in a 30 cm frying pan with an ovenproof handle. Bring the mixture to the boil over a medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, allowing the caramel to thicken and reduce. Add the pineapple and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, allow it to cool then refrigerate the pan and its contents for 1 hour.
4. Roll out the puff pastry to a disc about 2 cm wider than the frying pan.
5. Remove the frying pan from the fridge. Top with the puff pastry disc. Trim off the edges and make sure the pastry is neatly contained within the rim of the frying pan. Return to the fridge and allow the pastry to rest for 20 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Place the frying pan and its contents in the hot oven. Bake for 20 minutes until golden-brown.
7. Remove the tarte tatin from the oven. Allow to settle for 20 minutes and then place a plate over the top. Using oven gloves lift the pan and the plate together, flip it over onto a serving plate. Serve with the crème fraiche or ice cream.
Rate This Recipe