- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 5 minutes plus 4 hours chilling and setting time
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 sheets leaf gelatine
- 6-8 pink grapefruit, (to give 900ml freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice)
- 75 g caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra
- 4 tbsp fromage frais
- 3 cm piece vanilla pods
- sprigs mint, to decorate
1. Place the gelatine in a mixing bowl and cover with cold water from the tap. Set aside to soak for 5 minutes.
2. Squeeze the juice from the grapefruit and measure out exactly 900ml of juice. Pour it into a saucepan. Add the caster sugar and stir to dissolve. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat so that the liquid stops bubbling.
3. Pick up the soaked gelatine, which should have become rather flabby, and squeeze the excess water from it back into the bowl. Add the gelatine to the hot grapefruit juice and stir until it dissolves and is evenly distributed through the liquid.
4. Pour the grapefruit mixture into serving dishes and leave to cool before transferring them to the fridge to chill and set for 3-4 hours.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the fromage frais and extra caster sugar. Split open the piece of vanilla pod and use a small pointed knife to scrape the black seeds from inside the pod into the fromage frais. Stir thoroughly, then cover and place in the fridge to chill.
6. When ready to serve, spoon a little of the vanilla cream onto each grapefruit jelly and top with a sprig of fresh mint before taking to the table.
Rate This Recipe