- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus soaking, plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 1 tsp ghee
- 50 g basmati rice, soaked for an hour, drained
- 1.5 litre milk
- 3 tbsp whole almonds
- 100 g sugar
- 50 g fresh coconut
- 25 g raisins
- 50 g chironji nuts, (optional)
- 50 g pistachio nuts, cut into slivers
- 50 g blanched almonds, cut into slithers
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom, seeds ground
- 2 tsp kewra essence
- silver or gold leaf, to decorate
1. Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the soaked rice and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add the milk and cook over a low heat for an hour until the rice absorbs the milk and the kheer thickens.
2. Stir in the almond paste, sugar, coconut, raisins, chironji, pistachios and almond slithers. Cook for a final couple of minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the ground cardamom and kewra essence. Cool and chill.
4. Serve chilled in individual dishes, decorated with silver leaf.
About Gunjan Goela
Gunjan Goela works with top-end hotels, resurrecting traditional Marwari vegetarian dishes for the five star palate. As Marwari cuisine is often regarded as limited (using only the ingredients available from the Rajasthan desert region), Gunjan adds modern flavours and techniques to traditional dishes.
Rate This Recipe