- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 ml milk, whole milk
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 60 g pistachio paste
- 150 g caster sugar
- 200 g egg yolks
- 70 g demerara sugar
1. Set the oven to 120C/gas 1.
2. To make the custard, heat the milk, cream, pistachio paste and 90g caster sugar in a saucepan, whisking until well blended, then slowly bring to the boil.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks with the remaining caster sugar. As soon as the milk mixture comes to the boil, gradually pour it onto the egg mixture, whisking all the time.
4. Ladle the custard into six 15cm gratin dishes and place on a baking tray. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until just set.
Transfer the dishes to a wire rack and leave until the custards are cold, then chill until needed.
5. Just before serving, sprinkle the tops with the Demerara sugar and caramelise with a cook's blowtorch, or under a very hot grill, to make a thin, pale nut-brown topping. Serve immediately.
Wine expert Hamish Anderson has matched this lovely dessert with a luscious sweet wine. He recommends Bonnezeaux, Chateau de Fesles 1999, £26.99 from Oddbins
Rate This Recipe