- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus proving time
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg plain flour
- 50 g fresh yeast, (or 25g dry yeast)
- 1 tsp salt
- 500 ml warm water
- 115 g rendered pork fat or softened lard, plus more for greasing
- 200 g pork rind, blanched
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 spicy sausages, (preferably sopressata) cut into rounds
- 200 g fresh pecorino cheese, finely sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Mix the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Add the warm water and work together to make a smooth and elastic dough. Move to a warm place and leave to rise for around 1 hour.
2. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface. Pull open in middle and punch down. Add the lard and knead until the dough is elastic and silky. Put back in bowl and leave in a warm place to rise again.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
4. Grease a baking sheet with lard. Roll out half the dough to about 1cm thick and put on the baking sheet. Cover with slices of the pork rind, hard-boiled eggs, sausage and Pecorino. Roll out the remaining dough and lay over the top. Use some of the beaten egg to seal the two parts together.
5. Prick the surface with a fork and brush with any remaining beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, around 40 minutes.
Rate This Recipe