- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the base
- 350 g flour
- A pinch of sugar
- 250 ml water
- olive oil, for brushing the dough
- 1 tsp sachet dried yeast
- 2 x 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3/4 tsp coarsley ground black pepper
- Handful of basil leaves
- 2 balls of buffalo mozzarella
- extra virgin olive oil
- A small handful of basil
1. Sieve the flour and salt into a big mixing bowl and add the yeast and sugar. Make a hollow in the middle of the flour and pour in about 250ml warm water enough to make a slack dough.
2. Bring everything together with your hands and turn out onto a floured counter. Knead until smooth then transfer to a clean bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Leave to rise in a warm place for about an hour until double in size.
3. Heat the oven to its hottest setting 240C/220C fan/Gas 9. Put two trays in the oven to heat this will help cook the pizza bases from below.
4. Divide the dough in half and knead lightly. Roll out each portion of dough on a floured surface to a large round and transfer to a baking tray. Using your hands stretch both circles out to about 25cm diameter. Aim to get the dough as thin as possible. Brush with olive oil.
5. Tip the tomatoes into a sieve so the juice drips into a bowl below. Roughly chop the tomatoes and mix with the garlic and pepper. Shred half the basil and add to the sauce. Divide the tomatoes between the pizza bases and spread in an even layer.
Tear the mozzarella cheese into bite-sized pieces and dot over the tomatoes. Rip up the remaining basil leaves and scatter over the top. Generously drizzle with olive oil.
Bake the pizzas for about 10-12 mins until golden and crisp at the edges. Drizzle with more olive oil and serve straight away accompanied with rocket leaves.
Rate This Recipe