- Serves: makes 2-3 pizzas
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus about 12 hrs 45 mins rising
- Effort: medium
For the brioche base:
- 15 g fresh yeast, or 1½ tsp easy-blend dried yeast
- 175 ml milk, warmed
- 450 g strong bread flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 small egg yolk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 250 g salted butter, softened to room temperature, cut into pieces
For the cheese and fruit topping:
- 200 g full-fat cream cheese
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 250 g fruits, such as apples, pears and prunes chopped
For the streusel topping:
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 25 g plain flour
- 50 g unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. First, make the brioche base. If you are using the fresh yeast, blend it into the milk, then mix the milk into 125g of the flour in a mixing bowl. If you are using dried yeast, blend it into 125g of the flour and mix in the milk. The mixture should become a sticky 'sponge' or dough. Cover the sponge mixture with the rest of the flour, but do not mix it in. Cover and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes, until the sponge bubbles up through the flour.
3. Mix the flour into the sponge. Add the whole eggs and 3 large egg yolks, then add the sugar and salt and continue mixing until the dough is very elastic.
4. Knead in the soft butter gradually, allowing each spoonful to be absorbed before adding another. Knead for 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic, then cover and leave to rise in the refrigerator overnight. It should triple in size. If necessary, leave to rise further in the morning.
5. Divide the dough into two or three pieces and roll out into flat circles, 5-8mm thick. Place on baking trays, cover and set aside while preparing the toppings.
6. To make the cheese and fruit topping, place the cheese in a bowl with the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar and mix well. Cover the brioche bases with the cheese mixture and scatter over the fresh fruits.
7. To make the streusel topping, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the cheese and fruit topping.
8. Beat the small egg yolk. Brush any visible brioche dough with the yolk to glaze, then bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is puffed up and golden and the streusel topping is crunchy.
Rate This Recipe