- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1 hr resting and chilling
- Effort: medium
- 150 g plain flour
- 90 ml tepid water
- 4 g yeast
- 2 g sugar
- 5 g salt
- 25 ml olive oil
For the tomato sauce:
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 leaves basil
- black pepper
For the topping:
- mozzarella, cubed
- toppings of your choice
- black pepper
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 pinches of oregano
- leaves basil
1. First make the pizza dough. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt together with a wooden spoon for 1 minute.
2. Then gradually add the tepid water whilst still mixing, and mix for a further 2 minutes.
3. Next add the olive oil and knead the dough for 4 -5 minutes until the dough stops ripping and gains elasticity.
4. Divide the dough in two and shape into 2 dough balls. Cover with a damp, clean tea-towel and allow to rest for 45- 60 minutes.
5. While the dough is resting, make the tomato sauce. Put the tomatoes and basil leaves in a bowl, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and mash using a spoon or a hand-blender. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before use.
6. Preheat the oven to 240°C/gas 9.
7. Place one of the rested pizza dough balls on a lightly floured work surface. Use your fingertips to flatten the dough, stretching it to a 20cm disc.
8. Pick up the dough and toss from palm to palm, continuously rotating the dough to remove any excess flour and stretch the dough further.
9. Repeat the process with the remaining dough ball.
10. Lightly oil 2 pizza pans and place the dough discs in the centre of each pan. Use your fingers to press down the edge of the dough, forming a rim.
11. Pour a ladleful of the tomato sauce over each pizza base, spreading it evenly.
12. Top with cubed mozzarella and the topping of your choice. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of oregano.
13. Bake for 12-15 minutes, remove from the pizza pan, garnish with fresh basil and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe