- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 plaice fillets
- 50 g flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 125 g fine breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten together with 150ml milk to make an egg wash
- salt and black pepper
- a little butter and oil, for frying
For the tartare sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- pinches sugar
- Good pinch of English mustard powder
- 275 ml sunflower oil
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cornichons
- 1 tbsp very fine capers
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- sea salt & coarsely ground black pepper
1. Trim the plaice fillets and cut in half lengthways. Put the seasoned flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates and the egg wash in a shallow bowl.
2. First dip the plaice into the flour, shaking off any excess. Next dip the fillets into the egg wash before placing into the breadcrumbs. Press the breadcrumbs into the fillets. Repeat with the other fillets. This can be done ahead of time.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add a splash of oil followed by a knob of butter. Add the plaice fillets and fry until lightly coloured on each side. Transfer the fillets to a baking tray and finish in the oven for 5 minutes until the plaice is just cooked.
4. Serve with a dollop of tartare sauce.
5. To make the tartare sauce, place the egg, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and mustard powder into a food processor. Season with the sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper. Blend on high speed before slowly adding the oil in a steady stream until thickened and emulsified.
6. Transfer the mayonnaise to a bowl and fold in the remaining ingredients. Check the seasoning then cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
Rate This Recipe