- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 24 baby leeks or spring onions, trimmed
- 25 g salted butter
- 25 ml olive oil
- 6 skinless plaice fillets, about 175g each
- 110 g gruyère cheese, finey grated
- crusty bread, or new potatoes, to serve
1. Boil the baby leeks in a pan of boiling, salted water until just tender, but still retaining their shape and colour. Drain well, refresh under cold, running water, drain again and return to the pan.
2. Add half of the butter and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside, covered with cling film.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the oil and the remaining butter. Once the butter is foaming, fry the plaice on each side until cooked (you may need to do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan).
4. While the plaice is cooking, remove the cling film from the pan containing the leeks and carefully re-heat the leeks over a medium-low heat.
5. To serve, arrange four leeks neatly on each serving plate and place the fish on top. Sprinkle a quarter of the gruyère over each fish fillet, allowing the heat from the fish to melt the cheese. Serve with crusty bread or new potatoes.
Rate This Recipe