- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 unwaxed lemon, chopped
- 225 g butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 200 g ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- 115 g quick-cook polenta
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 plums, stoned and halved
- 15 g demerara sugar
- 15 g blanched flaked almonds
- icing sugar, for dusting
For the Cantaloupe custard:
- 1 litres custard, cooled
- 450 g flesh from a cantaloupe melons, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.
2. Place the chopped lemon in a food processor and process until very finely chopped up.
3. Add the butter and caster sugar to the lemon and process again until well blended.
4. Add the eggs, ground almonds, polenta and baking powder and process until well blended.
5. Turn the mixture into a lightly greased 25cm spring-form cake-tin and top with the plum halves, cut side down. Sprinkle over the demerara sugar and flaked almonds.
6. Bake the cake for 1 hour, then reduce the heat to 160ºC/Gas 3 and bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
7. Meanwhile make the cantaloupe custard. In a blender process the melon flesh until smooth. Add the custard and blend until well-mixed.
8. Turn out the freshly baked cake. Dust the cake with a little icing sugar and serve warm with cantaloupe custard.
Rate This Recipe