- Serves: Makes just over 900g
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g granulated sugar
- 425 ml red wine vinegar
- 500 g pears
- 500 g plums, stones removed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 8 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
1. Peel the pears, core and quarter them and cut into 2cm pieces.
2. In a heavy-based saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar over a low heat.
3. Add in the pears, plums, cloves and cinnamon and simmer gently for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Remove the fruit from the pan using a slotted spoon and set to one side.
5. Bring the remaining liquid to the boil and cook briskly, reducing until syrupy.
6. Mix together the pears, plums and syrup and spoon into warm, sterilized glass jars. Cover with waxed discs and cool, then seal with jam seals and lids.
7. Store for up to a month in a cool dark place.
Rate This Recipe