- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 170 ml dry red wine
- 170 ml fresh blood orange juice
- 55 ml red wine vinegar
- 55 g caster sugar
- 2 sprig thyme
- 10 blood oranges, peeled but left whole, with white pith removed
- 10 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 10 spring onions, whole
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- rocket or baby spinach, for garnish
- grated orange zest from 2 oranges, for garnish
- 1 sprig thyme, for garnish
1. In a large saucepan place the red wine, blood orange juice, wine vinegar, sugar, thyme sprigs and garlic cloves. Bring to a simmer and add the oranges. Make sure the oranges are not packed in too tightly, cooking in two batches if necessary.
2. Poach the oranges over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove the oranges with a slotted spoon and transfer the oranges to a large bowl to cool, again making sure the oranges are not packed together tightly.
3. Poach the spring onions for 3 minutes in the same liquid. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a flat plate. Also remove the garlic cloves and set aside to cool.
4. To make the salad, slice the cooled, poached blood oranges. Arrange them on a serving plate with spring onions and garlic cloves.
5. Drizzle the orange salad with a little of the poaching liquid and the olive oil. Garnish with rocket leaves. Sprinkle over orange zest and top with the thyme sprig. Serve at room temperature.
Rate This Recipe