- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1.6 kg chicken
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- head celery, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 2.6 litres chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 6 peppercorns
For the parsley sauce:
- 25 g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 300 ml double cream
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
For the cumin-flavoured buttered carrot and celery:
- 55 g butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 large carrots, thickly sliced
- 350 g celery, thickly sliced
1. Place the chicken, onion, celery and leek in a large saucepan.
2. Pour in the stock, and add the bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns.
3. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is tender - this should take about 40 minutes.
4. Once cooked, take the chicken out of the stock and set aside. Strain the stock and reserve.
5. To make the sauce, heat the butter in a heavy-based pan. Add the shallot and fry gently for 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened but not browned.
6. Add the white wine, bring to the boil and cook briskly, until nearly all the wine has boiled down.
7. Add 600ml of the reserved chicken stock and cook down until reduced by two-thirds.
8. Pour in half the double cream and cook briskly until reduced by half. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, and sharpen with lemon juice. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
9. For the carrot and celery, bring a small pan of the reserved stock to the boil.
10. Blanch the sliced carrots and celery in boiling chicken stock for about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander.
11. In a separate, heavy-based saucepan, heat the butter very gently, taking care not to let it colour.
12. Add the cumin seeds to the melted butter and gently fry for a minute or so - until the seeds take on a nutty aroma.
13. Add the carrot and celery to the cumin butter - cover and cook around 10 minutes - until cooked through.
14. Carve the poached chicken and arrange on top of the vegetables. Pour the sauce over and around the chicken and serve.
Rate This Recipe