- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
- 1 x 75cl bottle of champagne
- 250 g strawberries, hulled
- 150 g sugar
- 1 litres sugar syrup
- 100 ml white rum
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 ripe medium-sized mango, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 lychees, peeled
- 4 kiwi fruit, chopped
For the vanilla creams:
- 5 leaves of gelatine
- 1 litres double cream
- 250 g sugar
- 5 vanilla pods
1. First make the vanilla creams. Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water until softened.
2. Meanwhile, gently heat the double cream to just under boiling point and stir in the sugar. Slit the vanilla pods lengthways, scoop out the seeds and add them to the cream.
3. Cook over a very low heat, stirring often, until the sugar has dissolved then strain into a bowl.
4. Drain the softened gelatine. Stir the gelatine into the hot cream, mixing well.
5. Place the cream mixture over a large bowl of ice and cool until the gelatine floats to the surface but before the cream begins to set.
6. Pour the cream mixture into 6 small dariole moulds. Cool, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the poached fruit. In a saucepan heat the sugar and champagne together until the sugar has melted. Bring to the boil and pour over the strawberries and leave to cool.
8. In a separate saucepan place the sugar syrup and rum. Cut the vanilla pod lengthways, scoop out the seeds and add to the syrup mixture.
9. Add the mangoes, lychees and kiwis. Heat gently and simmer for 15 minutes until the fruit is tender. Set aside to cool.
10. Turn the vanilla creams out onto serving plates, surround with the poached fruit and champagne strawberries and drizzle with a little of the poaching syrup.
Rate This Recipe