- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 3 undyed smoked haddock fillets
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 onions, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the hollandaise sauce
- 4 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- 1 pinches cayenne pepper
- 250 g butter
- 0.5 lemons, juice only
1. Mix the milk with 300ml water (to stop milk from burning) and add the peppercorns and chopped onion.
2. Add the haddock, bring to the boil and then remove from the heat.
3. To make hollandaise sauce, place a tablespoon of water in the top saucepan of a double boiler.
4. Add 2 egg yolks and a pinch of cayenne pepper, and whisk for about 30 seconds or so until thickened.
5. Remove from the heat and slowly add the clarified butter slowly. If the sauce starts to split, add a drop more water and keep whisking.
6. When all the butter has been incorporated, add a good squeeze of lemon juice, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and leave at room temperature until needed.
7. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the vinegar and poach the eggs.
8. Serve the haddock topped with a poached egg and the hollandaise sauce.
Rate This Recipe