- Serves: 3
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 small sprig thyme, chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 3x150 g medium lemon sole fillets
- 200 ml fish stock
- 100 ml perry
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 florets purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 rashers rindless smoked bacon, diced
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1-2 tsp black onion seeds
- boiledbuttered new potatoes, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4, and grease a medium baking dish.
2. Lightly season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Scatter the thyme and shallot into a medium baking dish.
3. Loosely tie each sole fillet into a knot and arrange in the baking dish.
4. Pour over the stock and perry and cover with buttered greaseproof paper.
5. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the fish has firmed up slightly and is just cooked through. Exact timing will depend on the size and thickness of the fish fillets.
6. Remove from the oven and strain the cooking juices through a fine sieve into a pan. Cover the fish and keep warm.
7. Boil the cooking juices rapidly until reduced by half.
8. Add the cream and continue cooking until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper and lemon juice.
9. Plunge the trimmed purple sprouting broccoli into a pan of slightly salted boiling water and cook for about 3-5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the stems) until just cooked, but still with a bit of bite. Drain well in a colander.
10. Heat the oil in a small pan and cook the garlic and the bacon until the bacon is golden and crisp. Remove the garlic clove and discard.
11. Add the butter to the pan and when melted remove the pan from the heat. Add a squeeze of lemon juice.
12. Arrange the sole and purple sprouting broccoli on plates, spoon the bacon and butter over the purple sprouting broccoli and the cream sauce over the sole.
13. Sprinkle with black onion seeds and serve with buttered new potatoes.
Rate This Recipe