- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 8 hrs to marinate
- Effort: medium
For the poached pears
- 4 pears
- 1.5 litres red wine, (Pinot Noir)
- 300 g caster sugar
- 10 g chinese five spice
- 1/2 orange, peel only
For the ginger bread ice cream
- 600 ml milk
- 25 g milk powder
- 250 g gingerbread
1. Pour the red wine into a stainless steel saucepan and bring to the boil, flame the alcohol and burn off. Once the alcohol has been burnt off, add the sugar, orange peel and five spice and bring to the boil. Leave to cool, then peel the pears and place into the cooled red wine.
2. Leave the pears to marinate in the syrup for 8 hours before cooking.
3. Bring the pears to a slow simmer and cook until soft through to the centre. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
4. Take 1 litre of the stock syrup and pass through a sieve into a saucepan, then cook over a medium heat and reduce to a sauce.
5. To make the ice cream, bring the milk and milk powder to the boil, and pour this onto the ginger bread. Leave to soak for 30 minutes and then blend in a blender until fine. Churn in an ice cream machine, according to manufacturer's instructions. Remove from the machine and place in the freezer until needed.
6. To serve, cut the pears in half and remove the cores, place onto plates with a little sauce, then add a scoop of ice cream and clotted cream.
Rate This Recipe