- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the poached pears
- 2 pears
- 600 ml sugar syrup
- cardamom seeds
- ½ lemons, juice only
For the lemon and almond cake
- 225 g butter
- 225 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175 g plain flour
- 100 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 lemons, zest only, finely grated
For the dressing
- 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 3 lemons, juice only
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 175 g plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp clear honey
1. To poach the pears; peel the pears, cut in half and remove the core.
2. Put the pears into a pan with the sugar syrup, cardamon seeds and the lemon juice. Cover with greaseproof paper (to prevent build up of pressure that results from using a saucepan lid) and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the pears are tender. Take off the heat and leave to cool in the syrup.
3. To make the cake; preheat the oven to 180C/gas
4. Line a 5cm deep baking tray with greaseproof paper.
5. Melt the butter and sugar together in a pan. Remove from the heat.
6. Whisk the eggs and stir into the sugar and butter mixture.
7. Sieve the flour and almonds together with the baking powder and then fold into the egg, butter and sugar mixture with the lemon zest.
8. Pour the mixture into a lined 5cm deep baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes until golden and cooked. Remove from the oven, leave to cool and prick with a fork.
9. To make the dressing; heat the lemon juice and zest with the light brown sugar in a small pan until the sugar has dissolved completely. Pour over the cake and allow to cool.
10. To serve; cut the cake into 7.5cm diameter circles. Put half a pear on top, followed by a spoonful of yogurt and finally the honey.
Rate This Recipe