- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
- 6-8 sponge fingers
- 250 ml marsala, or brandy
- 115 g caster sugar
- 125 ml water
- 2 firm pears, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 2 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 250 g mascarpone
- cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Line the bottom of six individual serving dishes with sponge fingers, breaking them in order to fit them in.
2. Put the Marsala, half the sugar and the water in a non-stick pan and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the pears and cook on a gentle simmer for 20 minutes, turning them often until they are soft and glossy and the poaching liquid has reduced by half.
4. Lay the pears on top of the sponge fingers and pour over a little of the poaching liquid.
5. Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar for 4-5 minutes until pale in colour and doubled in size, then beat the mascarpone into the yolks until smooth.
6. Using a large spoon, fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture and spoon this over the pears. If you are making these in advance, cover each dish with cling film and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
7. Dust each one with a little cocoa powder just before serving.
Rate This Recipe