- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 600 ml goat's milk
- 400 g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 dessert pears
- 1 vanilla pod
- zest and juice of 1 lemons
- 200 g vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. To make the sauce, pour the milk into a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add 200 grams of the sugar and the golden syrup. Crumble the cinnamon sticks into the milk.
2. Whisk the mixture to a froth and add the baking powder. Continue to whisk as the mixture until it rises up and comes to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for about 45 minutes until the sauce is a caramel colour. Stir often to prevent burning.
4. While the sauce is cooking, peel the pears, leaving the stalks on. Place in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Add the rest of the sugar.
5. Split the vanilla pod lengthways. Using the tip of a knife, scrape out the seeds. Put the pods and seeds into the saucepan with the pears.
6. Add the lemon juice and zest, and cover with a lid.
7. Bring to the boil with the lid on. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the pears feel tender when pierced with a knife.
8. When the sauce reaches a caramel colour, strain it through a sieve then pour it back into the pan.
9. Remove the pears from the pan with a perforated spoon. Place on paper towel to drain.
10. Using a sharp knife, fan the pears by cutting five slits in each.
11. Place the pears on serving plates. Pour the hot sauce over the top. Serve with the vanilla ice cream.
Rate This Recipe