- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
For the shortcrust pastry
- 110 g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 25 g margarine, at room temperature, diced
- 25 g lard, at room temperature, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
For the court bouillon
- 25 g butter
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the filling
- 250 g skinless, boneless salmon
- 50 g butter
- 6baby leeks
- 200 g blue cheese
- 2 eggs
- 275 ml double cream
- handful blanched flaked almonds
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 1 lemon, peeled and cut into segments
- 8 sprigs chervil
For the basil oil
- 8 basil
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
1. To make the pastry; sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
2. Quickly rub the margarine and lard into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons water. Use a knife to mix and cut the mixture, adding more water to bring the mixture together with your hands to form a smooth ball of dough.
4. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
6. Roll out the pastry and line a 20cm flan ring.
7. Prick the base, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans.
8. Bake blind for about 20 minutes until the dough is set. Carefully remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans.
9. Brush the base with beaten egg and bake for a further 5 minutes until the pastry base is firm. Remove from the oven, but leave the oven on.
10. To make the court bouillon; melt the butter in a medium pan and gently cook the celery carrot and onion for a few minutes.
11. Add the bay leaf, peppercorns and white wine vinegar and cook for a few minutes until reduced.
12. Pour in enough water to cover and heat to simmering.
13. To make the salmon filling; add the salmon fillet to the simmering court bouillon and poach gently for 6-8 minutes . The salmon must be still pink in the middle; do not overcook.
14. Heat the butter in a pan and gently cook the baby leeks in butter for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
15. Remove the leeks from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
16. Arrange the leeks on the base of the quiche case.
17. Break the salmon and cheese into pieces and arrange in the quiche.
18. Mix the eggs and double cream together and season with salt and pepper.
19. Pour into the quiche case and scatter over the flaked almonds.
20. Bake for 30 minutes until set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
21. To make the basil oil; place the basil leaves and olive oil in a food processor or blender and blitz until combined.
22. To make the rocket salad; combine the rocket, chervil and lemon segments with the basil oil. Season with salt and pepper.
23. To serve; place the salad in the centre of the quiche on a serving plate.
Rate This Recipe