- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 3 hrs marinating
- Effort: medium
- 4 poussins
- 4 tsp mustard
- 4 tbsp Italian olive oil
- 200 ml red wine
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
For the asparagus salad:
- 16 asparagus
- 3 handfuls of green salad
- handful of pine kernels, toasted
- 4 tbsp extra virgin Italian olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Using a sharp knife, cut each poussin along the back bone and open it up flattening down on a chopping board.
2. Place 2 wooden skewers through the centre of each poussin, crossing the skewers so as to keep the bird flat.
3. Place the 4 poussins in a large, deep dish, massage them with mustard and mix them with the olive oil, red wine, rosemary, onion, salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Cover with cling film and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours 30 minutes, then remove from the refrigerator and marinate at room temperature for a further 30 minutes.
5. Preheat a large griddle pan until very hot. Place the poussins on the griddle and cook for around 7 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, make the asparagus salad. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add in the asparagus and cook until al dente. Drain and plunge in a bowl of iced cold water.
7. Drain the asparagus, then put in large serving bowl with the salad and pine kernels.
8. Dress the asparagus mixture with the extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and freshly ground pepper, mixing well.
9. Serve the griddled poussins with the asparagus salad.
Rate This Recipe