- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the pomegranate syrup
- 200 ml pomegranate pulp
- 80 g demerara sugar
- 1.5 vanilla pods, split and seeds removed
- 75 ml kirsch, approximate quantity
For the syrup
- 25 g caster sugar
- 50 ml water
For the rice pudding
- 500 g arborio or carnaroli risotto rice
- 2 vanilla pods, split length-ways
- 30 g desiccated coconut
- 750 ml milk
- 50g caster sugar
For the cream
- 200 g white chocolate
- 50 ml mango purée
- 175 ml double cream
1. For the syrup; dissolve the sugar in the water and simmer for 3-4 minutes before removing the pan from the heat.
2. For the rice pudding, pour the hot sugar syrup into a medium saucepan and add the rice, vanilla pods and desiccated coconut.
2. Heat the milk in a separate pan until tepid and add to the rice mixture. Set the pan over a moderate heat, and stir until all the milk has been absorbed. This will take about 35 to 40 minutes. You might need to add more milk to prevent it drying out. By now, the rice should be soft and creamy.
3. Leave the rice pudding on one side to cool before removing the vanilla pod.
4. For the cream; melt the white chocolate in a bain marie or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
5. Take the melted while chocolate off the heat and leave to cool before stirring in the double cream and mango pulp. The best way to make the pulp is to liquidise the fruit with a dash of water and push everything through a strainer.
6. Cook the pomegranate pulp with the Demerara sugar for a minute or so - until it caramelises.
7. Add the vanilla seeds and kirsch to flavour. Leave on one side to cool.
8. Spoon a layer of cold rice pudding in a glass bowl, and top with the white chocolate and mango cream, followed by the pomegranate and kirsch pulp.
Rate This Recipe