- Serves: Makes 1 litre
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 4-6 weeks steeping
- Effort: easy
- 1 large pomegranate
- 750 ml vodka, proof above 40% ABV (check label)
- 220 g sugar
Tips and Suggestions
To sterilise your jars, lay the jars and lids on a baking tray in the oven and heat them at around 100C/80C fan/gas ¼ for 10 minutes or boil them in water and leave to dry completely. You can also put them through a hot wash in the dishwasher.
1. Before you begin, sterilise a large lidded bottle or jar.
2. Deseed the pomegranate by cutting off the top and gently pulling the fruit open. Dont slice through the middle of the fruit, as it can be a messy job, instead tease the seeds out gently. Place the seeds and any juice from the pomegranate into the sterilised jar and pour over the vodka.
3. Place the sugar in a pan and add 240ml of water. Bring to the boil and keep on heat for a few minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
4. Pour the cooled sugar syrup over the vodka, then close the lid and shake well. Store in a cool, dark place and shake every couple of days for 4-6 weeks.
5. Before drinking or giving the gift, strain the vodka into newly sterilised jars or bottles. For a pretty finish, add fresh pomegranate seeds to the new bottles.
Rate This Recipe