- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2.5 kg piece porchetta pork
- olive oil, for basting
- 2 onions, sliced in half
- 2 carrots
- 1 whole bulb garlic, sliced in half
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 125 ml white wine
- 300 ml chicken or pork stock
For the braised fennel
- olive oil, for braising
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 4 bulbs fennel, trimmed and sliced into wedges (reserve any trimmings)
- 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only
Tips and Suggestions
Usually heavily salted, porchetta is a fatty and moist boneless pork roast of Italian culinary tradition.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180Cfan/gas 6.
2. Pat the porchetta dry with kitchen towel, drizzle all over with olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Put the carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary and any fennel trimmings into a deep roasting pan, put the porchetta on top of the vegetables and roast for 1 hour, until the skin is crisp and the meat tender and juicy. While the pork is roasting, prepare the braised fennel.
4. For the braised fennel: Heat a heavy-based, flameproof casserole, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and gently fry the garlic and celery until softened.
5. Add the fennel wedges and toss in the oil until covered, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, stir in the rosemary and cover with a lid. Gently cook over a low heat for about 25 minutes, or until the fennel is soft and tender.
6. Stir in the lemon juice and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
7. Once the porchetta is cooked, remove it and the vegetables from the roasting pan and rest them in a warm place while you make a gravy.
8. Deglaze the roasting pan by adding the white wine, scraping off any bits from the bottom. Pour in the stock and reduce until slightly thickened.
9. To serve, slice the porchetta and arrange it on top of the braised fennel and vegetables, with the gravy poured over.
Rate This Recipe