- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g pork and Stilton sausages
For the relish
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large red chilli, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 100 g brown sugar
- 75 ml cider or apple juice
- 1 apple
- 3 plums
- pinches ground ground allspice
For the mash
- 900 g potatoes
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tsp butter
- splashes milk
1. Combine the red onion, garlic, chilli, brown sugar, cider, apple, plums and a pinch of ground allspice; stir well and bring to the boil.
2. Cover the pan and turn down the heat. Cook until the fruit is soft and the liquid reduced and syrupy -this should take about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; pour into a sterilised jar and seal. The relish will keep in a refrigerator for a week or so.
3. To make the mash, peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Place into a pan, cover with water and boil for about 15 minutes, until soft.
4. While the potatoes are cooking, chop the onions. Heat the oil in a frying pan and soften the onions over a high heat until golden and crisp. Drain and mash the potatoes with a knob of butter and a splash of milk and stir through the onions.
5. Meanwhile cook the sausages under a preheated grill for 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally until cooked through.
6. Serve the sausages with the onion mash, and apple and plum spicy relish.
Rate This Recipe