- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 1.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 55 g butter
- 2 bulb fennel, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 bunch of sage, chopped
- 100 ml wine
- 250 g spinach
- 400 g tinned butter beans, strained
- 2 pork cutlets
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
For the stuffing
- 100 g zampone sausages, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- black pepper
For the dressing
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 10 tbsp olive oil
- 1 apple
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp grain mustard
- black pepper
Tips and Suggestions
Zampone sausage can be found in Italian delicatessens and some supermarkets.
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the butter in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Add in the fennel wedges and the sugar and cook at a high heat, stirring often for 20 minutes. Then add the chopped sage, and toss through.
3. Add the wine, lower the heat and cover with kitchen foil, cooking for a further 10 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and butter beans and cook gently for a further 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the stuffing. In a bowl, mix together the zampone sausage, garlic, olive oil and breadcrumbs, seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Using a sharp knife, cut a slit in the sides of each cutlets, and stuff the zampone mixture into the slits. Secure the stuffed cutlets with cocktail sticks.
7. Heat a frying pan until hot. Add in the remaining olive oil and fry the cutlets for 10 minutes on each side over a high heat.
8. Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, cider vinegar, olive oil, apple, sage and mustard. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix thoroughly.
9. To serve, spoon the fennel mixture onto 2 warm serving plates. Top each portion with a fried pork cutlet, drizzle over the dressing, sprinkle over the fennel seed and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe