- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the faggots
- 300 g minced pork
- 100-150 g pig's liver, minced
- 100 g lardo (pork back fat), minced
- 2 pinches mixed spice
- 1-2 tbsp oatmeal
- 5 sage leaves, finely chopped
- pig's caul fat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the salsa verde
- 3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- 3 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 heaped tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ lemons, juice only
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the lentils
- 400 g cooked lentils, or drained canned lentils
- sherry vinegar, to taste
1. For the faggots: mix the pork mince, liver and lardo in a bowl until well combined. Add a pinch of mixed spice and the oatmeal and mix well, then add the sage and season with a pinch more mixed spice, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Cook a small marble-sized piece of the faggot mixture in a hot oiled frying pan to check the seasoning and taste. If you prefer to have richer faggots, add another 50g minced pork liver.
3. Roll the faggot mixture into golfball-sized balls. Stretch out the caul, cut into small squares and wrap each ball in two thin layers of it.
4. Place the wrapped faggots in a steamer and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the faggots are firm and cooked through.
5. For the salsa verde: mix the fresh herbs, capers and anchovies together in a bowl until well combined. Add the garlic, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
6. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan, place over a medium-low heat and fry the steamed faggots for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned all over.
7. For the lentils: in a separate frying pan, heat the cooked lentils until hot. Add a dash of sherry vinegar and stir through.
8. Divide the lentils among serving plates and place the faggots on top. Spoon over a little salsa verde and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe