- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 4 hours 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus soaking
- Effort: easy
- 500 g dried cannellini or haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1-1.5 litres ham stock or chicken stock
- 1/2 jar molasses
- 175 g molasses sugar
- 4 tsp English mustard powder
- 4 large onions, tuck with 4 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4 pork hocks
- 12 peppercorns
1. Drain the beans and put them in a heavy-based casserole with enough stock to cover copiously. Bring to the boil, skim off the scum and simmer for 30 minutes. The beans will still be hard. Pour off some of the stock but leave enough to just cover the beans.
2. Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas 1.
3. Put the molasses, molasses sugar and the mustard powder in a bowl. Add a ladleful or two of stock from the bean pot, and stir until dissolved.
4. Put the studded onions and star anise into the pot, followed by the treacly mixture. Bury the hocks in the pot, add the peppercorns and bring to the boil. Cover tightly, place in the bottom of the oven and leave to cook for 4 hours.
Rate This Recipe