- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 knob of butter
- 200 g cooking apples, ideally Bramley, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 400 g pork sausage meat, free range
- 200 g bacon, diced
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 3 tbsp mixed herbs, thyme, rosemary or sage
- 300 g puff pastry
- 1 eggs, beaten for glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas 3. First caramelise the apples. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the apples and honey and fry for 10 minutes, tossing frequently, until caramelised.
2. Grease a casserole dish with butter. Place a third of the sausagemeat along the base of the dish, and a third of the bacon.
3. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, sprinkle over one tablespoon of winter herbs and layer with caramelised apples. Repeat until you use up the sausagemeat, bacon, herbs and apple.
4. Roll out the puff pastry and cover the pie. Prick the top with a fork and brush with beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 55-60 minutes. Serve warm
Rate This Recipe