- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 24 hrs to marinate
- Effort: medium
For the sausages
- 1 kg pork shoulder, minced twice
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp freshlychopped parsley
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 2 tbsp water
- casings pork, natural or synthetic
For the casserole
- 400 g onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 200 ml red wine
- 200 ml real ale
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp thyme, picked
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, peeled
For the mash
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 200 ml olive oil
- chopped parsley, to garnish
1. For the sausages, combine the pork, garlic, paprika, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, cayenne, parsley, water and red wine in a large bowl and mix well. Leave to marinate for up to 24 hours.
2. Pass the mixture through a meat grinder fitted with a medium die. To test the seasoning, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small pan and cook about 2 teaspoons of the mixture. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
3. Using a piping bag, stuff the meat into the casings, twist and tie off to make 6cm sausages. These can be reserved and kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.
4. For the casserole, brown the sausages with a little oil in a sauté pan and reserve. In the same pan, lightly fry the onions and carrot until golden brown and add the flour, then gradually stir in the red wine and real ale.
5. Return the sausages to the pan, then add the garlic, tomatoes, thyme and seasoning. Cover with a lid and bring to a simmer, turn down the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
6. Cook and mash the potatoes, whip in the olive oil and season to taste. Serve with the sausage casserole and some chopped parsley to garnish.
Rate This Recipe