- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the tomato sauce
- 1 kg fresh or canned plum tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 100-150 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
For the lasagne
- 500 g leftover cooked pork shoulder
- 300 g homemade tomato sauce, (see above)
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 500 ml milk
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 heads broccoli
- 12 dried lasagne sheets
- 400 g taleggio cheese
- 40 g freshly grated parmesan
- green salad, to serve
1. For the tomato sauce: place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and cook gently for 1 hour, or until the sauce is thick. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Measure out 300g of the sauce for the lasagne; the remainder can be stored in plastic containers and frozen for future use.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
3. Shred the pork into a mixing bowl, then stir in the tomato sauce.
4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then stir in the flour to make a smooth roux. Cook this gently for a couple of minutes, then slowly add a few tablespoons of the milk, whisking continuously to prevent lumps.
5. Continue adding the remaining milk in small amounts, whisking until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Simmer for about 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and season with the nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Chop 3-5cm off the bottom of the broccoli stalk. Slice the stalk and florets into 1cm-thick slices. Stack the slices of the stalk and chop to make thin matchsticks. Rinse well, then stir the broccoli into the white sauce.
7. Pour about 100ml of hot water into the bottom of a 30cm x 20cm baking dish about 6cm deep. Cover the base with four sheets of lasagne.
8. Spread a third of the meat and tomato mixture over the pasta in the dish, then a spread a third of the broccoli and white sauce. Top with a third of the taleggio cheese , then cover with another layer of pasta and repeat with the process until all of the ingredients are used, finishing with the taleggio. Sprinkle over the grated parmesan and cover with foil.
9. Place the lasagne dish on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes, removing the foil after 30 minutes. Continue cooking until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.
10. Serve the lasagne with a simply dressed green salad.
Rate This Recipe